09 January 2011

one [wo]man band

Today I bought a fiddle and a piano. Now I have my own one man band.
Yes, I'm a rather impulsive shopper. But I saved big bucks. My fiddle cost $1.99 and my piano was not even a buck.
As you can now see, I did not buy real instruments. I bought them as apps for my iPad.
Oh, you're probably saying. Well that's not really an instrument. But it is. It's so cool. I downloaded the Magic Fiddle and the Magic Piano from Smule and I've been fiddling and piano-ing all day. It's amazingly fun and therapeutic. I picked it up really easily, and it's not hard to get really good. I was playing Nutcracker March on the [magic] piano and it was really good! Like symphony auditions good!
What was cool, other than the fact that I played a fiddle and a piano, is that it made me feel really good. It was like someone was hugging my musical soul and the world felt serene.
It's amazing what a great song (or a bad song, for that matter) can do to your mood. Music makes people feel strong emotions. Let's point our finger to scientific evidence, for instance, because everything seems much more legit with science as the foundation. It is shown that songs with an intense beat can resonate well with you and make you want to move. Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, and Mozart pieces will make listeners more calm and meditative. And upbeat songs can improve your focus and make you think clearer thoughts. In fact, I believe that the best ideas I get are when I am listening to music in a moving vehicle. And when I am in the shower. And when you're done listening, you'll still be feeling whatever you were feeling when you stopped listening. It's great!
Music is also proven to alter breathing rates to make you calmer and make you feel more happy and optimistic, lower your blood pressure, and relieve muscle tension. Who would have thought that something like music could be so important?
Actually, a lot of people. Music is one of the things that helps frame cultures. When you think of certain countries and cultures, a certain beat or rhytym might come to mind. Example: Africa. Many people will say that African music centers around singing in large groups and drums (especially bongos). Which coulld be true (I haven't been to Africa yet, so how should I know?). So music is pretty important. And if you haven't listened to music in a while, get listenin'! (with the volume relatively low so we don't kill our irreplaceable hair receptor cells, right?)
Music can make you want to dance, cry, sing along, smile, laugh, and feel emotions. Which is part of being human, right? So find some sort of music you like and enjoy it's multi-benefits. I like all of it - pop, classical, rock, alternative, reggae, world (as in traditional/music of different countries), and the forties (gotta love the forties! by the way if you want your forties on the go, channel 4 is forties on four on Sirius XM) - because depending on what mood you're in, each type can make you feel a certain way. I'm not even listening to music but I still feel happier than I did before I started writing!
Aaahh. Music. It's nice. I'm going to go download some.

1 comment:

  1. Whenever I leave band (not trying to sound like a band nerd, but this is true), I feel happy. Like something was lifted off my shoulders. Sometimes, I'll be thinking "When is band?" when I'm stressed out. It helps me to clear my mind, and I feel so enlightened when I'm done. That also applies to iPod music, too. The only music that doesn't give me that hapiness feeling is some of the App violin songs you play (A+ for effort!). :) I love music!

    ReplyDelete