04 May 2011

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

It's easy to win; you feel good, so we think that winning is always better than losing. But when we lose, we learn a lesson. We learn many things from losing.

A while ago I entered the a contest for Google, and I found out today that I didn't become one of the finalists. I worked really really hard on it for like 2 months. And I worked every day and made sure everything was perfect. Here is a picture of it:







So I worked really hard. And this time I was hoping to make it to the next round and hopefully win a scholarship. But I didn't. And last year, when the same thing happened, I got really upset.


I knew it was coming. I knew that out of 107,000 drawings mine would not be chosen. But the thing is, I thought it was really good.


And just because a contest and some judges told me it wasn't "good enough" doesn't mean I have to believe them.

Because I am confident in my work. And I didn't make that to win a scholarship, I made it because I like to draw and I wanted to see what I could make out of the Google logo. And I had fun doing it.
So honestly, I'm really shocked and sad that I didn't even become a base finalist. But there is nothing I can do about it now. And I'm not going to say it's "their loss". It's unfortunate, but I can't let the opinions of some judges get in the way of me pursuing what I like to do. If I wrote a song and everyone hated it, but I loved it, would I stop writing music forever? Probably not. It's like when people write controversial books or if presidents make really controversial decisions. Will they stop writing books or stop being politicians? Probably not.

Don't let someone else's opinion get in the way of your pursuing what you love. As long as you are happy with what you are doing, that's all that matters.

That's why if I say I like a Vermeer, and someone else hates it, that's because everyone has their own idea of a good painting, or a good sculpture. Modern artists are not bad because some of their work looks like a kindergartner could have whipped it up in 5 minutes. They like what they do and that's all you ever should worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment