02 May 2011

drop off your sandbags here

I have noticed that blogs all have a certain tone - sardonic, somewhat self-deprecating in certain blogs, and at times, filled with screwball comedy. Blogs are heartfelt and true, the way writing should be.
Here is the moral of my post: Grievances are better on paper than in the heart.
You see, today has been a mathematical day. First, I vanquished math. Then, I was confused by math. And ultimately, math vanquished me. Now tell me something I don't know.
Here is the good part: I got an A on my math quiz! Hooray! The glory moment I had worked so hard to live to see!
Glory only lasts so long.
In class we got some new foolishness. And apparently there's a test on it soon. So this came with me to my tutor. And as we were doing it, I realized I didn't know as much as I thought I did. And we had to get down to the basics of logarithms to understand it.
But I didn't know what he was talking about. Was this English? Was this even legal math?
I told him I didn't know it. And so we would have to review it. I didn't know the basic properties of logarithms. I can't believe I am doing them but I don't even know what I am doing. I got so mad and sad and I just hated everything.
The Battle of Math at Fort Tutoring had been my defeat. And so fall my spirits.
So I decided that I was going to write down what I felt. And just writing it down, not sending it to anyone (yet...) pulled the negativity right out of me and I felt more at peace and ready to conquer the problem.

You can't fly out in your hot air balloon if you don't drop your sandbags.

No comments:

Post a Comment