01 April 2011

the sands are deeper than your troubles

This now means that I have written 70 more posts on this blog than on my traveling blog. Crazy! Despite the fact I wanted to skip school because no one would be here because it's the day spring break technically starts, it was a lot of fun. No one was really at school, which is why we had more fun. Math was actually fun because we watched this show that I saw last year and it was really good. Lang was pretty funny too because it's Rhetoric Friday and we read a funny article about how certain people are upset that the government is stopping the production of inefficient light bulbs. You should read it on the New York Times if you have time, it's called Let There Be Light Bulbs. However, anatomy was far from delightful. I had to do the practical today on the cat specimen. I knew everything, I was pretty sure, except for maybe two items on the list. Only 10 items would be on the actual thing, and it was all random. First it smelled rancid (my jacket smelled of formaldehyde after that...absolutely gross), and then the specimen that my teacher and I had was a cat that had no head. They cut it off. It had a head, but not anymore. It was so utterly traumatizing that I started crying. But my teacher wouldn't see it. I couldn't even talk. It was so awful. I forgot everything and I probably failed. It was just a horrible experience. Especially when everyone else got 98s and complained. Other than that, the day was fine. Later my yearbook teacher was looking over our shoulders while me and my friend looked and new Vera Bradley patterns, and then she secretly went onto the website herself - "secretly". She cracks me up. And in French we just didn't have a teacher today - so we played Clue (in French!). And in history we had a reenactment of the strategy of D-Day (my teacher dressed up and went all out - it was a great way to tie in the lesson plan). And we talked about how the men in the battle literally had no place to hide. We watched the attack at Omaha beach from Saving Private Ryan and it was a lot more intense than we had ever imagined - or wanted to see. We could turn our heads and choose not to look, but the men there could not. If they looked away for less than a second, they would be dead. My teacher said that while living in Belgium he went to Normandy and the beach and he took a little sample of the sand from the beach. He put it in a little vile and took it back to America. And now it sits on his desk every day, and he said that every time he things things are tough he remembers that they aren't. It was tough for the men in that horrible battle. Everything else is a challenge. Everyone has challenges. But find something else bigger than you - find your sand - and remember that things aren't as hard as they might seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment