13 April 2011

small world

Who knew that anatomy could be such a great source of happiness? I surely didn't. But today when we were practicing for our anatomy practical on the digestive system, no one expected to have so much fun. Basically it consists of a diagram of the organs, with lines pointing to them, and we have to match the cards with the words onto the Velcro on the lines. In under 30 seconds. So we had to practice so we wouldn't take more than 30 seconds. I got 25 my first time. And then I started to get pretty good. And then my teacher told us the record: 14 seconds. By now, I was completely motivated to win. This was ultimate competition - go big or go home. So I got a little competitive as my times dropped. And eventually I got to 16, then 15, and then - 13! I had beat the record! And everyone and his cousin was staring at me. I must have looked really incredibly, oh-my-God-what-is-wrong-with-her ridiculous. But it was the funnest thing in the world. By the way, I eventually got down to 12 seconds. 12.59s to be exact. Also, tonight I went to the premier of one of my friend's documentaries on the French exchange program. This focused on the one in 2009, and it has taken him this long to finish. It was about American and French stereotypes, the "American life" and how it can be something you don't expect - he is a Sikh - and how the two countries have been united throughout history, religion, and now exchange programs like this. He did a Q&A after that and it made me appreciate the movie even more than before. He said there was more than 30 hours of film and it probably took over 1000 hours to complete. The film was amazing and as professional as documentaries I have seen on TV. It was absolutely incredible, and this summer - after he enters it in some more international festivals - he will put it online, and I can send you the link. I also got to see all of my best friends there and my favorite teachers, like my lit teacher from last year. She's sort of like my mom at school. His film was really just an eye-opener and it made everyone - the Frenchies, the Americans, the adults, the kids - feel like our world might not be as small as we think.

No comments:

Post a Comment