27 February 2011

remembering the forgotten

Happy Sunday my blog readers! Actually, it's Monday now, and you will probably be reading this slumped over the computer waiting for coffee to be ready with your eyes half open. I don't drink coffee though.
I come to you so very late because I was watching the Academy Awards, better known as the Oscars, perhaps since it's a lot easier to say that than Academy Awards. Quite a show, I must say. Usually I never see all of it and I miss the good ones, but this year I got all my homework done early and I saw all of it. I was really pleased in fact. Sometimes you don't get your favorites to win, but the winners really deserved theirs tonight.
We all knew Natalie Portman and Colin Firth would take the Best Actress and Actor, respectively, and that is often why people watch these awards shows. But a lot of people don't realize the work that goes into them. And I early never thought much of it until tonight. Sound, lighting, and music are only the basics needed for a mediocre film. It takes real geniuses to manipulate their environment and make something really new and amazing for our eyes and ears. Imagine if you had to write an original score for a movie that would perfectly capture the mood and tone of each scene. I couldn't do it. And imagine creating costumes for a half-animated, half-real movie. Talk about blowing one's mind. And then there are those who create the most elaborate moving objects to make the most incredible and unbelievable scenes that are so surreal they make you say, "how did they do that?"
I'm glad that not only the big names were recognized, but those who are the engine behind the sports car. Those who make the big clock move. The colors that make the picture beautiful. Sometimes I feel like those forgotten people, especially when I will do a lot of work on a big group project but the teacher doesn't know I did all of it.
I can relate to those creative geniuses. And I commend you. Congratulations to all Oscars winners. Each of yo worked through your own battles to make your movies, whether it had to do with special effects, getting your movie produced, or training for a year to be fit enough for your part.
Keep up the good work, Hollywood. Next time we slump down in our chairs to watch your next movie, we'll remember each cog behind the machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment