08 March 2011

easy there, tiger

Happy Tuesday. Too tired to do exciting punctuation. As this kid from swim team says every Tuesday, "it's Slow Tuesday." I don't know why it's slow Tuesday, but I guess it just is. I was lagging a little at practice today, so I guess I fit the bill. Anyways, since it's sort of a lazy day, I decided to share a little wisdom of mine. Actually it's one of my good friends Ralph Waldo Emerson. What a great philosopher.
My mom signed up for emails from Real Simple, and they always post a nice quote. She forwards me the good ones. And yesterday was a great one. It goes like this: “For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.”
How utterly inspirational. But I think it's a great way to say, "well, even thought you're angry now, look at what you are gaining from it: nothing. You're losing from being angry."
But the point is, you might be feeling really mad, but you're whole day doesn't have to be. And I'm guilty of giving my days sometimes to anger, sadness, and hate.
But if we can commit to not getting fired up (in a bad way) about something a couple times a week, we will be able to control ourselves more. And did you know that you can make the bets decisions when you have a full bladder? It's a new study, so I'm skeptical. But that sounds cool. If you're going to buy a house, just don't go to the bathroom, and you'll be happy with your decision.
Anyways..moving on. So the goal that I will have is to not get really angry about stuff. Being spirited and opinionated is good. But sometimes we get a little bit too riled up about things, and it gets a little rowdy.
But when you're sad, mad, depressed, and nervous, you aren't happy. That's a no-brainer. But if you try to be more tolerant (and I know I will have a hard time with this..there are m-a-n-y things that irk me. A lot.) than we can all enjoy some happiness.
Now that I think of it, today's Mardi Gras. Comme les français disent, Joyeux Mardi Gras!

No comments:

Post a Comment