10 November 2011

happiness is inexplicable

Today was a great day. It makes me want to home school my own kids (even though, as I already clarified, I will never have kids. I wouldn't italicized never if I didn't mean it). Because today, my art class, another art class that thinks they are way more exclusive than us, and some other random people who call themselves artsy went on a field trip to the High Museum in the ATL to see a special exhibit - pieces from MoMA! And in case you don't know, it's the Museum of Modern Art in New York. It's a way big deal. MoMA is incredibly important and it's even more incredible that we can see paintings from MoMA right here in Atlanta. We got to see paintings and some sculptures from Andy Warhol, Alexander Calder (my favorite), Constantin Brancusi, Henri Matisse, Pablo Picasso, Jasper Johns, Jackson Pollock, Piet Mondrian, Jean Miro (sorry about the lack of accent on the i), and 5 more (I can't remember the rest of the names.. I think de Chirico and Bearden and some others..). But anyways, it was insanely amazing. I got to breathe next to a famous painting made by someone that anyone knows! Who doesn't know Picasso? Art and Picasso are practically the same; it's like when people call a smart person Einstein.
But it was also fun going to the museum with artsy people because sometimes when you go with non artsies, they just browse and go from room to room not taking it in. But some of the art kids (not the phonies who used it as a free pass out of school) really looked at the paintings and analyzed them. That's what we do.
I was just incredibly happy to see Calder's work. He is literally my favorite, ever since I read a book referencing him. He is the best 3D worker (tied with Henry Moore), and van Gogh is my favorite painter, though I have many (including Vermeer). My favorite print maker has to be Matisse, and my favorite architect is without a doubt FLW (Frank Lloyd Wright). So I guess Calder is not "literally my favorite". It's too hard to pick just one.
And because of this, I didn't go to school, which means I didn't have homework, which means I got to go swimming, which is always a party. And today it really was, because the coaches let us play water basketball and it was a big blast. I think we lost; maybe we tied. But I had so much fun I didn't care. And for some reason, I was just really happy.
And sometimes happiness is just inexplicable. It was just an ordinary swim practice, and I just went on a field trip (a very fun one). But the whole day was just wonderful and it made me so happy I could dance. And you know that if I could dance about it, I am really happy.

Science, religion, and sometimes philosophy cannot explain everything. Sometimes life is about the things that fathomable measures cannot qualify. Sometimes it's just about those things we can't explain. Those ineffable moments that make you feel something wonderful. That's just life working it's magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment