10 August 2011

lessons of life, by spongebob squarepants

This morning I went to orientation at school. And my hopes of putting off at least one of my summer reading books until second semester were crushed, since I now have AP Macroeconomics first semester. And I was given 2 classes I never signed up for, instead of the ones I did sign up for. And worst of all - I have 2 maths books. I'll repeat for emphasis: I have 2 math books. Big textbooks. 2 of them. Dyscalculics don't like to have even 1 math textbook, let alone 2.
But that put aside, I'd like to get to the lesson of the day. And by the way it has to do with Spongebob.
Spongbob Squarepants is a wonderful character who can teach us all a lesson or two about every possible topic that conflicts us at one time or another: love, self-worth, obsession, identity, fun, even the meaning of life.
And today, I was waiting for my mom to go to orientation with me, and I turned on the TV. It happened to be Spongebob. And it was the "Best Day Ever" episode, a musical episode that reminds me a lot of the opening number Hairspray. The sprightly scene opens in the three-house neighborhood in the middle of nowhereville known as Bikini Bottom. The sun rises in the east, and some synthesized keyboard music tells us that it is coming to greet our yellow, square friend. Then we advance to Spongebob's room, in which he erupts in joyful song and sings about how his day, consisting of only banal activities, will be "the best day ever". After running about and singing joyfully, he leaves, as he does every morning, for the scummy Krusty Krab to fry processed patties from a dirty meat locker. But as the events of the day - jellyfishing, karate, and Squidward's clarinet recital - unfold, Spongebob becomes more and more discouraged when everything seems to go wrong for him. When his best day ever turns out to be quite the opposite, Spongebob's friends remind him that the best days ever are those spent with good friends, not with the idea of perfection.
Here's where it applies to life.
Whenever we have a day that needs to be perfect, like a wedding, a birthday, an anniversary, or a presentation for school or work, it's hard to expect anything less than perfect. If we want perfect, we expect it. So we don't factor in the idea that something might go wrong, and when something does go wrong, we freak out. But we have to remind ourselves that things can't go right all the time, and that sometimes the best days are ones you don't plan or expect. Sometimes they're the days spent doing things that might otherwise seem ordinary. The best day ever doesn't always come announced. And unlike Spongebob, you might not think you have anything to sing about until afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment