31 August 2011

my anonymous heroes

A few months ago, I got a new Blackberry phone. A white Blackberry Torch. A yesterday, I left it on the school bus. It was completely unintentional. I don't just have phones lying around that I feel like leaving places. I was really sad that it was gone, but it was gone. I would never see it again and my contacts and other important information would be gone forever. I was completely devastated.
We called the department of transportation for our county and they said they would ask my bus driver if she found anything. They said they found a white phone.

My phone! Only I would have this amazing luck and be so blessed to find it when someone else could have stolen it. She said I could pick it up when I ride the bus in the afternoons when school gets out.
So today I sauntered with joy to my bus and I asked my bus driver if she had found a white phone. And out popped my phone from a little cubby on the dashboard. She smiled and said "that's quite a nice phone." And it really is. I absolutely love my phone so much. And I feel so stupid for leaving it. After I thanked her profusely, she told me that the one to thank was a kid who sat diagonal from me on the bus. I estimated he was approximately sophomore age, and he was quiet - one of those iPod kids. But he never bothered anyone, unlike the juniors on the bus who think they are just the coolest kids on the block because they're not sophomores anymore, and today he saved part of my life. He was the one who found my phone and instead of stealing it and erasing the SIM card like the typical, stereotypical teen might do, he turned it into the bus driver and she saved it for me.
I don't know my bus driver by name, and I don't even know the kid who saved my phone, but if you are reading this, thank you so much. Thanks for doing something so kind for a stranger and not taking advantage of the situation. It's comforting to know that there are great people in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment