07 September 2011

indescribable

I read a tweet today that talked about happiness. The tweet said that happiness is not in your head, but in your heart. It's something you can feel be experiencing it, and that it isn't something from the outside world.
I'm not sure if it's true or not. I'm pretty sure part of it is true; I think happiness is a feeling and not in your head. Because if you go around sorting things out, like emotions, in your head, you will just get confused because emotions are tricky.
And I guess that's what I tried to do when I started these shenanigans; I tried to find out what happiness was. And just like in Oxford when you study something a lot, you know less about the subject after than you did before you studied it. This may seem paradoxical, but it's very true; your fixed ideas on things change as new ones are added, so when you think about what the main idea of something is, you have so many ideas that you can't think of just one.
Which is sort of cool, because then you have so many ideas that whatever you thought before has become a much bigger and more open thought.
So I ask myself the question, what is happiness? and it's really too hard to define. According to the dictionary, it's "a state of being content and joyful." This is like the definition you would give to an alien is they asked what we were feeling. Happiness is so much more than that. And sometimes it's indescribable. Sometimes happiness is just "that feeling inside".

No comments:

Post a Comment