16 September 2011

memories and nostalgia

I should changed my name to Peter. As in Peter Pan. As in I'm moving to Neverland because I don't want to grow up.
I want to do adult like things on occasion, such as having intellectual discussions, reading about word etymologies, and talking about complex philosophical ideas, but sometimes I just like to sit and watch Spongebob Squarepants and eat dinosaur chicken nuggets. I don't eat dinosaur chicken nuggets anymore because I jut don't like them, but I think animal shaped foods are a good metaphor for childhood.
I want to go back in time and relive my childhood all over again, but this time trying to remember that everything is a once in a lifetime thing. But then again, what makes childhood so beautiful is not knowing those things and just enjoying everything. I wish I could have another chance to be a kid, because sometimes I wish that I could be a kid all over again. I remember complaining in third or fourth grade about how life was so hard, and my dad always said to enjoy being a kid because you're only a kid once. And now I know that life then was so easy compared to now or what's ahead. I didn't feel like I wasted my childhood, or that it was a bad one; I think I had a great childhood. But I can't help but think, where did all the time go?
I don't want to be a kid now and go back to where I was when I was a kid because everything is different now; I just wished I could go back to the memories that stand still in my mind.
But I can't.
It's ironic how when we're kids, all we want to do is grow up. And here we are now, wishing we could take that back.

No comments:

Post a Comment